Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Taming the Tongue

Some of the most beautiful sounds
are hearing people praise our Lord with song, hear them preach the word of truth, and hear the body encourage one another.

Some of the most horrible things to hear are comments that hurt the greatest of feelings, snarls that stab someone in the back, and rude remarks to a family member or friend. 

The sad thing is...they both come through the same area of the body >>> the tongue.

Throughout my years I have always been known as the really LOUD girl who talks to much. It's okay if you just nodded and said yes to the previous sentence, because we all know it's true. However, as the years have gone by, God has shown me so much and has worked on my heart and mouth in order that I say more that glorifies Him and shows less of my nasty nature. Thank God, that's all Him and nothing of me. This is definitely an area of struggle for many of us, and especially for me. My personality is very open and I say what I think...Most of the times, I don't reciprocate that phrase and think about what I say. God has showed me so much about myself and my wicked heart, and through that, the things that come out of my mouth are far greater than they used to be. I used to spit nasty remarks to strangers and friends, say I was joking about it, then move on. Or remember that time when I snapped at my mom for waking me up too early? Oh wait, that was this morning!
See how easy it is to allow Satan to come in and use your tongue for the greatest works of evil? With my nasty remark I made to my mom this morning, I felt horrible after. As I read my Bible and prayed, God opened my eyes to some things. I am currently reading in James and Psalms and the scriptures went hand-in-hand with what I dealt with this morning. Don't you love how God does that? :)

James 3 talks about taming the tongue:
" 3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.

When I read this, I was CUT to the heart. I asked my mother and father for forgiveness and God showed me so much. 

The devil wants to to use your tongue for the following: 
1. To hurt others
2. To lift yourself up- "bring on the pride"
3. To sing praises to him (this is will come if we follow this world)

God wants to use your tongue for these reasons:
1. To encourage & love others
2. To lift His name up
3. To sing praises to Him (when we are having a good day & a bad day)
4. To PREACH his great Name and
 make Him known throughout this earth!

The TONGUE was made by God and God desires that it is used for HIS glory! The tongue can be used for so much good but also for so much bad. I pray that today we would desire to keep our tongues and words to the utmost of God's glory. Through the Holy Spirit we are able to kill the inner man and let the mind of Christ rule in our bodies. With this, our tongues will always praise Jesus.
I want to be a Proverbs 31 woman and let this scripture be lived out in my life! Woman or man, Lord let this 
be our prayer:

"She opens her mouth with wisdom,
And on her tongue is the law of kindness."
Proverbs 31:26

I love yall very much!
God bless,
Beka

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search